December 9, 2006

The joy of giving

Today my kakak woke me up at 7.30a.m. Oh....I forgot.....today I'm supposed to voulenteir for an orphanage event. Then because yesterday I went to my Ahyi's friend's wedding so I very tired...lazy to get up.......we were supposed to leave at 8.30a.m. Whe I looked at the clock, OMG!!! Its 8.00a.m!! I jumped out of bed brush my teeth, pulled on my jeans and ran downstairs. And yes, not to forget, I did wear a shirt, so don't panic.
Waaaaaa, thank goodness my Ahyi haven't wake up, or else I'll be dead. So I relax a little, take my time to makan pagi...but not hungry, just eat 2 piece's of white bread. No protien, haha. My mom would kill me, buts shes not home. Hehe. When it was 8.30a.m, my Ahyi STILL sleeping, alamak!! Have to go. I bang on her door and she jumped out of bed, then she say we have to be there by 10a.m.........................MAN!!! Then I still coulv'e sleep until 9.30a.m ...........
We left the house by 9.15a.m, and my Ahyi didnt eat beakfast.
This was to be held at some residential place called Sucasa...... And this whole thing was organized by Yellow House and we got to wear a Yellow House shirt ...cool. Before the kids from the orphanage came along with the orphanage caretakers, we had to set up the stations, wrap the presents, blow up ballons, count sweets, pack gifts..............Kept us busy la........ Then we had extra 2 minuets, so we chose our stamps and double-check everything.
Then the kids came, they registered at the ballon counter(which is also the registering counter) and each got a book that they could get the chops from each of us. I got the smiley face stamp.
First the kids were divided into 2 groups, kids below 8 participated in the colouring contest and kids 8 and above participated in the "Design your own Cristmas Wrapping competition". Me and another voulenteir, Angie, had to do a demo for the Christmas Wrapping competition, because some didn't understand. Aiya!! What do draw?? So I simply draw la, I draw a whole lot of presents, and only a demo, but still had to make it "worth following as an example". Angie say its nice woo....
It took the 8 and above competition a little more time, and the below 8 group had alot to colour. While waiting, 2 of the voulenteirs were helping the kids give them their supplies, and the other voulenteirs were either making ballon hats or getting ready for the next game. My job was getting ready for the next game. When the kids were done they went to eat, me and my Ahyi's friend made changes to the next game, which was called "The Amazing Ballon Race".
When the kids were eating, and we were finised the changing the game, voulenteirs went to eat, but there wasn't much to eat because the kids ate first, so we were left with the fries, hotdos and fishballs....all the mee hon was finished. Then we had to give each of the kids their Rasa Ku stamps (lunch stamp).
When they were done, we got them to play the game.I had to do a demo for the kids... And I guess it mustv'e been my fault they played the game kinda wrong........ I was suposed to go in some boxes with a ballon, and come out with the same ballon Iwent in with, because inside the boxes there are many other coloured ballons., and inside I accidently poped alot of the ballons, and the kids thought that it was part of the game, so they followed me. The kids, in the boxes, made their ballons pop. That made all of us laugh. So the game wan't played properly. When that was done, all the kids gathered and sat down, and I gave out prizes to who won the competitons, and then who won the ballon race.
And they each got a present from underneath the Christmas tree. All the kids were happy, and so were the voulenteirs. I'm glad I participated. So getting up that early on a school holiday (for me) really did pay off.

No comments: