January 15, 2009

My 2008 JU Review

After getting the 2008 edition of JU, I took the time to sit down and read every single page (interesting and with pictures XD No speeches.)

There's a lot to be said about this edition of JU, both positive and negative.

I'd like to congrats the whole JU gang for doing well in this edition of the yearly school magazine. All of you have contributed your stuff and the end result is that magazine you have all received this week. =)

Firstly I'd like to say that the 2008 year magazine is a lot better than 2007's. '07 lacked one important thing, content. Candid shots was only a page, and the cover I thought wasn't that outstanding.

Being apart of JU made me notice more things in the magazine. And thats what this post is about.

'08 had a lot of content, including teachers candid page, 2 students candid pages, photoshoot candid, Form 5 pool and there were also a lot of articles this year, especially from the Bahasa Tamil area... '07 had less Bahasa Tamil articles... and Mandarin articles still remain the same amount... To Chinese Society: More articles for '09 please.

'08 also had some really funny candid shots, some of them which I took. XD Sorry being perasan. I'm glad they put a lot of my best pictures in the magazine. My picture in the Editorial Board page was quite hilarious. I was smiling putting on my sunglasses... Taken during JU photoshoot at the Curve. And I was the only one with a full body picture. The rest had half body pics and they were all looking at the camera, exept Rhonwyn. Hahahaha. One thing though, I didn't see Sonia in the Editorial Board page.... and the reason? I don't know.

Eventhough '08's magazine was much better than '07, there were a few things which were disappointing to me. One was the magazine wasn't very organized. The candid shots pages were all over the place, one at the waaaaaayyy back of the magazine, one here and another there. I didn't find the last candid page until my magazine dropped and the page I happened to see first was that page. Some of the layouts weren't really nice, but I'm not gonna complain about that, 'cause I know the graphic department was really stressed doing this.

One thing that really disappointed me was the Leo Day page. It was one page, 4 pictures of Matt and Ronalds band, one picture of the entire SMKBU Leo and a big cropped picture of Matt. What disappointed me was that they didn't put anything else. Why 4 pictures of the same band from 4 different angles? What about the rest of the performances (especially SMKBU performers) during the Leo Day? Aaron and Ming Yue's duet? My drum circle? The Boogey Jammaz dance? Nope. Just 4 pictures of the same band. How disappointing. It was kinda like '07's Graduation Day page, 2 of the same pictures and 2 pictures of the same VIP giving a speech.

The class pictures section was also messy. First it was the Form 3's classes, then Form 4, Form 2, Form 3 again, Form 1's, Form 5's and then Form 4's again.

Puteri told me she submitted 5 articles for the article section, but only one was published. Abigail and Tien Mie both had 2 articles published. Why? And my article, full page and nice, but there were a lot typo errors. "My whole family went "tot" the hospital right away." One extra 'T' in 'to'. And "My uncle's therapist looked at him in the coffin and smile". Forgotten the smilED.

So thats all I wanna say. I hope '09 JU will have less mistakes and typo errors.
Good luck to all JU members.

*out*

1 comment:

tien mie said...

Hey. Hope you're doing great. Just wanna say a few things about the mag. First of all, all the articles by students have to go through Pn Lee P.H. So, if Puteri's other 4 articles weren't chosen, then it's because Lee P.H. didn't choose 'em. :) Not all articles sent by students will be published in the mag.

About the photos of all forms being disorganized, that I don't know. I'm not in charge of that section.

So '08 mag is not that good huh? lol. I must see it man! :)

G.luck in PMR!